2.26.2010

Tummy time and mood swings

Look at those squishy cheeks!!
Hailey weighed 8 lbs 10 oz this last monday!!! That means she gained just 4 oz shy of 2 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks! Wowza!
Tummy time is kind of hard for me to sit and watch. Poor pitiful little newborn, as weak as a new kitten trying to trash about to get the head up! Hailey usually seems pretty content to just lie there most of the time. You know, she is just a content baby overall.
I LOVE the babylegs Kara brought up for us. They are just like long footless socks you pull on each leg so I don't have to take them off all the time for diaper changes. Plus she just looks like a cute little dancer! I wish I had 50 pairs of these!
Now lets talk moodiness. There are some major emotional imbalances that seem to be going on in this house, and I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about MATTHEW! I imagine it's just a part of growing up, but he seems to be going CRAZY with his grumpiness! Perhaps it's his way of adjusting to Hailey, but he sure has been bossy lately and if you don't do something his way just right then he is a GROUCH. Folds his arms, puckers his lips, says something like "NOT NEVER" and refuses to be cheered. In fact, the more you try to get him in a better mood the nastier it gets. It goes from a pout to a full out screechy whine about how he wanted it this way and we need to "do over again now!" "It's MINES." "I first!" Oh dear. I don't even know how to respond most of the time. Drawing any attention to it just makes it worse. Like telling him he doesn't get to make all the choices. But ignoring it makes it last forever. And don't you dare look at him when he doesn't want you to. That gets his eyes rolled up as far as they can go and his eyebrows scrunched down as far as they can go and a "hmph DON'T" response. And as hard as I try (because obviously I know he's a 2 yr old and it's not like he understands fully what he's saying) I can't seem to keep it from hurting my feelings every now and then when he says something like "Not mommy now. I don't want you" Or when I ask for a hug or a kiss and he pushes away and says "NO THANKS! I don't want to kiss you ever!" I guess it only bugs me because Matthew has always been so polite and so considerate all of his life and then WHAM all of a sudden he starts acting like this. He is not like this all of the time. In fact the majority of the time he is his usual cheery loving self, but the couple of times a day that he gets so dramatic really wear me out! Is this a representation of his true personality or will this just be a phase that he will learn to cope with and outgrow?
Hard or easy days though, sheesh how I love my kids!



3 comments:

Magen said...

Hailey is SO CUTE! Good Luck with Matthew...Koen has similar fits...he goes to time out alot...

Dana Scarbrough said...

I think two things about it:
#1. He's a toddler, so they have their particular days and tantrums.
#2. I think maybe the newness of Hailey has worn off, and he's realising he's not getting your undivided attention anymore. It could be his way of venting his distaste for this big change in pace. He'll adjust in time, but for now, when he is in a good mood, give him extra attention and hugs!

kurtandvickysleemanfam said...

adessa went through a similar stage at about 3 yrs old, and coincidentally a few months after jexten was born. I didn't know how to deal with it either. And yes, it hurts, even though you know they are 2 or 3, you start to wonder if it's you, or is this them? And where did your sweet baby go? And why did everything have to change? And, I have to admit that in times of weariness of taking care of the new baby, and dealing with toddler drama, I had a tearful breakdown or two thinking "would things have been different without the baby, or would they have changed and grown up anyway?" "Am I really not capable of taking the best care of 2 children, or am I neglecting my first because I am so wrapped up in this new miricle?" So, to get to the point, I did some hard praying, some serious brainstorming, and took a leap of faith. That's when Adessa's "our chance" began. every day during one of Jexten's naps(the afternoon nap worked best for us because it seemed to be the longest) I gave my whole undivided attention to Adessa. She could pick whatever she wanted to do and I would do it with her, or watch her, or just plain BE with her. I wouldn't take back those times for all the naps in the world. And things got better. And they will get better for matthew too. Just hang in there, and do what you feel is best for him. Know that he loves you, and it's you he needs, it's you who knows him best, and it's you he chose to come to earth to be with. I love you too.