1.10.2010

Potty Days


I don't know why it is that I'm so intimidated about this whole potty training thing, but I am. I think it's just because it's my first time teaching a child how to use the potty and I am mostly afraid of failure on my part. For a long time now we've had Matthew sit on the potty here and there - always before a bath and any other time he asks (which is rare). We've decided that as soon as his last package of diapers run out we're going to try it. We bought some underwear (Matthew had a good time putting that on his head), my neighbor handed down the Pottywise book to me and I've read it (gave me some good pointers but mostly made me even more nervous to try it) and this morning Matthew pooped in the


TOILET!!!


By his choice too! Wahoo!! So I'm pretty sure he's ready but I find myself getting more and more nervous every time I change his diaper and see the diminishing stack!! We'll give it a shot. The worst that can happen is for him to just not be ready and we give up to try another time.



Any advice would definitely be welcome.




4 comments:

Family Fun said...

I had a hard time potty training Ashley because I did not commit to the process. Ashley went back to diapers three times before I was done. I thought it was easier just to change a diaper then clean up messes. But maybe she was not ready the first couple of times. But she brought Chris and I her package of diapers and said, "take these back to the store for other children I do not need them." And that was that she was potty trained! Good luck!!!

Michelle said...

Last week I started the same dreaded process with Jonny. I have felt intimidated and nervous as well. However, it has not been bad at all (that isn't to say that we haven't had our share of accidents. Just be patient and know that Matthew will catch on when he's ready. Good luck!

Ryan & Rachael said...

Babywise worked wonders for us. A little bit of knowledge lifts the fears, seriously. Bethany learned in 4 days once we both committed. We went straight to underwear. We still use diapers at night occassionally, but the process does take patience. Girls aren't any easier than boys like many people say either. At the same time Bethany was learning, her boyfriend learned in 6 days. My friend and I were estatic! Not only did we help each other overcome our concerns, but we cheered for each other and our children.

Seriously, read the book.

Dalling Family said...

I bought an ebook online and liked the lady's theory. Place the potty in a common room (we chose the kitchen). Role play going to the potty and actually have him do what he will need to when going. Set a timer every 15 minutes and when the timer goes off, we run to the potty! After he actually goes, you can try again in an hour or so. It takes a good day of being committed to doing it, but it worked great! Oh and have him throw those 'baby diapers' away because you are a 'big boy' now and we wear 'big boy undies'. I just gave Bri the last few diapers and she threw them away. Good luck!