4.21.2012

When You're Helping You're Happy!


The other day I asked my mom when she wanted Curt to till the garden to prep it for planting.  She told me that this year she thought that Curt and I should be in charge of the garden!!  So this year the garden will be a great big experiment and hopefully not a big flop.  I have always helped plant it, but never made the decisions on what to plant when and where!  Curt seems pretty confident and experienced so I don't feel completely hopeless :)  I love doing a garden!  Matthew helped me pick out a lot of our seeds.  We are going to try interesting things this year!  One example: snake gourds!!!!
The rest is pretty basic:  Peas (my favorite), corn (my other favorite!), onions, russet potatoes, radishes, spinach, cucumber, beans, cantaloupe, sunflowers, pumpkin, and my mom is going to do her usual hanging tomatoes but I'm not interested in those! yucky

To fertilize the garden I thought we'd just dig some good old natural horse poop from my horse's pen and haul it over to the garden.  So Curt tilled once, then I shoveled a ton of manure.  I wore myself out pretty good but it's what I wanted.  When we left to get the seeds I told Curt he'd better not start shoveling without me.  I've been craving the hard farm girl work I used to get all the time! 
Then Curt tilled again and then we planted the things we could this early (since it stays so cold up here for so long): peas, radishes, onions, potatoes.

 Here's a shot of the manure :)  Mom and the kids helped me the first load and a half and then Hailey decided she'd had enough so Matthew did too so Mom took them inside to get lunch ready.  Then I shoveled a couple more loads (curt always wheeled it out and dumped it for me but I spread), and then Curt helped me with the last one and a half loads.  
 Matthew really loves planting the seeds, but Hailey was way more interested in petting the horses with Grandma!




It was a great day for planting and perfect weather!  Best of the year so far.  To top all that off then we had a wonderful ward BBQ this evening!  I wish I would have brought my camera to that.  The kids had so much fun and Curt did too! A bunch of the Elders and our Bishop played an intense football game.  They're all going to be sore tomorrow but I'm sure it was worth it.  I'm going to miss married student wards when we do finally get a job and move!  It's wonderful to have an entire ward full of people our age with kids the same age.  


No comments: