1.19.2013

Matthew Man

Matthew is growing up way too fast.  He reads.  Like really actually reads.  Tonight at dinner he said to me while looking at a bottle of Bleu cheese (yes we eat soooo healthy haha)  "Mom, why does it say Lighthouse family favorite original bleu cheese?  is that because everyone loves it? Because it has No trans fat, no pressures (preservatives, kind of a hard word for him I'm sure!) and no msg?"  I just stared at him in shock for a minute.  He read everything on the front of the bottle to me super fast like he'd been reading his whole life.  and all I could mutter was "uh, well yes.  I guess.  Matthew you  are an amazing reader!"  I know everyone will roll their eyes at this, like "come on.  There goes another mom boasting about her incredible awesome smart kid."  and that's fine.  I would like to state matthew's achievements.
When he lost his hearing I think that reading just finally really clicked for him.  He was doing so many sight words before.  More than I even realized.  But when he lost his hearing he really relied on writing.  I put subtitles on all of his movies.  If he couldn't read my lips or get what I was saying with signs I would write it down and he would try to sound it out and figure it out.  It was a ROUGH 2 1/2 months!!!  But I think it was actually really really really good for him.  And now he has his hearing aid and can hear pretty good, like 80% of what he used to hear out of the one ear.  Better when the surrounding noises are minimal and worse in noisy situations.
 I caught Batman reading!  
 He loves to color and make crafty art.  I love to see some of the creations that he comes up with :)
 PHONES.  The same object that convinced him to crawl AND walk is still high up in his priorities of awesome things.  I finally got one of those smarty pants phones with a couple of games on it.  Guess who always asks me to play with it?  Funny thing is he wants to look at maps on it as much as play games!  haha


2 comments:

Kit and Janet Andersen said...

Good camera action. I like that name....Matthew man.

Nate said...

He IS really bright to read that well at his age. Amazing!