5.19.2009

Porter Park

We took Matthew and a friend to the park yesterday. It was so hot! We loved it. Matthew is such a cautious boy, but he is always more outgoing when he's with a friend. I took Matthew to the park by myself one day last week while Curt was gone to Montana helping his brother redo his dad's roof. It was the first time I've taken Matthew to the park this year. It was sad, but hilarious to watch him shakily make his way up the stairs, and when he got to the top he wouldn't stand up because he could see through the holes to the ground. So he bear crawled everywhere! He must be afraid of heights. It's interesting how everyone is born with different fears. I am sure that they are affected by the way we live, plus other factors like how Matthew has bad balance due to his hearing loss. We're working on that though, and yesterday was great progress for the little guy! He really had fun, and I just let him go at his own pace, but I do push him just to where he's uncomfortable but knows I'll save him if he plummets down the stairs or something! My dad always laughs at how Matthew goes around kind of like a little old man. My Grandpa Mel has a characteristic run we call the Grandpa Mel skeeter where he just kind of scoot shuffles across his horse pasture. What's funny is that Matthew has inherited that very same run. Sometimes Matthew does seem old for his age. He's so wise at times, and I am always learning from him. Thanks for being my teacher Matthew!


No comments: