We were able to watch Matthew and his kindergarten class perform a whole bunch of songs that they have been learning throughout the year, and each child got to recite one of their favorite things about the school year in their own words. It was really sweet! Matthew is just such a goof ball. Ugh, every class has a clown, I just never thought it would be my child. I guess I've always known he has a huge silly sense of humor.
In case you can't understand what he's reciting here is the hard copy.
The teacher gave us a large packet of some of his artwork that was on display and his handwriting book and book club journal. He has really improved over the school year, that is for sure. I think he's ready for 1st grade!!
"Snowy"
I love the scarf :)
"Oystering"
This is my favorite one I think. I love how he crafted a whale out of paper. It has a submarine underneath the whale, a rock and fish and plant to the right and a machine gun (what?!) to the left shooting at the submarine!
This last one is also interesting to me. He said that it was the beginning of the world. It's a volcano erupting and filling the world up with "larva."
Matthew is such a sweet boy. He has really overcome some HUGE battles this year with his sudden late onset hearing loss. I worry about him. A lot. Adjusting, fitting in, compensating, getting teased, keeping up... It's apparent that he has a harder time staying focused than the other kids. I'm not sure if that's because his mind is going a million miles an hour all the time or if he's trying to process and it takes a little longer to go to one ear through a hearing aid and into his brain or what. Academically he is stellar. He reads at a 2nd grade level. And he seems pretty well liked by other kids at this point. I got an annoyed parent honking at me the other day in the drop off zone because I was distracted watching how he interacted with his classmates. As he walked up to the lineup outside of the school he was greeted with a chorus of "Matthew! Hey Matthew come over here! Hi Matthew!..."
It's kindergarten. So kids are still really nice and non judgmental. He is really good at explaining his hearing loss too. I hear all the time other kids asking him what's on his ear. I used to want to try to explain to them, but I stopped once I heard how he never skips a beat and lets them know that "It is a hearing aid because this ear got sick. It helps me to hear better. The other ear was born broken but it will get fixed when I resurrect." Some day, when we are not in such a great LDS community where 95% of his classmates know about resurrection, it will be a great conversation piece to open up a missionary discussion!
We're so proud of you Matthew! Way to conquer kindergarten!!!!!!
2 comments:
What a sweet story about him explaining his ear to the other children. What a stud! He'll be just fine! (And yes, a great missionary!)
Wow.... just wow. I loved this Melissa... and his artwork!!
Post a Comment